Monday, December 3, 2012

Settling In.

For several days I lay anchored in front of the small tourist town of Paihia, just three miles down-channel from where I had checked in at Opua. It was one of the multitude of anchorages in the Bay of Islands, many near towns, many secluded, many on islands, many on the mainland. Yet, perhaps because it was the first available anchorage leaving Opua that sat directly in front of a town, a small crowd of young cruisers developed. I met three new boats: Privateer, Evangeline and Obelisk, and with them enjoyed the good life with old friends Saltbreaker and Only Child, whom I had met in Niue. Eventually, a German boat, Kira, also crewed by the under-thirty-five crowd, pulled in, and Matt from Gypsy Blues, Falcon from Beau Soleil, and Johanne from Lay Lady Lay all came around. Word of “Youth Sailing Meetings” circulated the vhf airwaves around seventeen-hundred. We remarked that there might not be such a large group of young ocean sailors anywhere else in the world. When we weren't fumbling about the crowded decks of someone's sailboat, we took slowly the changes that came with arrival.

I, for one, did a shocking amount of sitting around. I allowed myself to sleep in- with good reason, though, since I was a man on the brink for a few days there with fatigue. I went to shore most every day, but never for long unless (without meaning to so thoroughly illustrate a pattern) it was for a party. I went jogging, trying to bring my knees back to where they were before the slow decline in rigorous physical activity since FP. With that, I made my way along a trail through the location at which a treaty was signed between the Maori and the Pakeha (Europeans), a treaty that remains in dispute today. That took me past Hururu Falls and back into town, at which stage I was barely walking. I got a good start on the re-introduction of exercise into my life, though, and not a moment too soon. My knees, who have a history of insubordination, were becoming a nuisance. Incidentally, relentless exercise and lots of stretching are the only way I know to bring them up to snuff. It appears to be working pretty well. I realized at one point that rolling my i.t. bands would help, so that I accomplished dockside lying side-to a powdered-milk can. I crushed the can quite a bit, but it definitely helped.

The eating, it must be stated, has been spectacular since landfall, though I didn't go out to a restaurant more than once, to my surprise. I talked about going to some places harboring particularly sought after foods, like a Thai restaurant, but always just ended up cooking with some subset of the aforementioned group. We're used to cooking and it's a great pleasure to do so with the now vast array of choices. There was a weekly farmer's market in Paihia as well, which provided, among other things, Haas avocados and fine cheese for the menu. If we didn't cook, we were at a party to celebrate the six-year circumnavigation of Moon-walker, a local boat just returned home and with whom just about everybody in Northland is friends.

The last of these I attended was on my final night in Paihia. I serendipitously caught a ride with John and Nea from Only Child and we went inland to the hills of Keri Keri. We ate incredible food (the seafood has changed, but is not less satisfying or abundant than it was in the tropics) and enjoyed yet again the company of cruisers, except that this time we were at a house overlooking vast green hillsides, wooded with pines to the west and some sprawling deciduous trees to the east. It was beautiful and stunning and and the air was fresh. The ocean was nowhere in view, couldn't be heard. We agreed, though, that New Zealand was pretty alright.

The next morning, I pulled the hook and headed out. It was a glorious day and I had a fine sail in a fresh breeze. In fine spirits, I happily sat on deck and rigged up some lures; I threw trolling lines out with a renewed energy about my boat. Of course, I was only moving six miles to Roberton Island, but it was a big jump mentally. I was enjoying the water immensely, though, so I sailed right past the anchorage and around the bay for a bit hoping for a fish. When I pulled up, Saltbreaker was anchored along with a few other boats. I went ashore and took a walk up to the peak. The amount of vegetation recognizable from home was remarkable. It truly could have been Point Reyes for the climate and the vegetation, though as far as conspecifics I'm pretty much exclusively referring to the suite of non-native plants of European origin that adorn in abundance the hillsides of both California and Northland.

The trail to the top gave way to stairs which led to basically a wooden deck with a bench built overlooking the island and the surroundings. Bay of Islands is beautiful. On a clear day like that one, you could see everywhere. Little islands of incredible variety in size, shape and color scattered across gorgeous green water and the mainland, that bigger island, visible to the horizon with rolling hills and a rugged coastline. From the top I could see Ardea at anchor and I knew all of the boats in the anchorage; I felt once again that feeling that nothing much has changed, a feeling that seems intermittent with one of an altered reality.

When I got down again John, Alex and Nick were in the water diving for molluscs. I got on my wetsuit and jumped in to see what I could bag for dinner. The water was cold and we soon learned that the scallops and oysters we sought would rarely be found at less than ten meters depth. Still, we were all proud of our tropical training, and we had all become proficient free-divers. After ten or fifteen dives, though, scouring a bottom that is even colder than the surface and fighting the buoyancy of the wetsuit, we had reached our limit. Even so, we all managed to grab a few things and had a fine collection of scallops and oysters for dinner. Thus continued our sudden switch to a largely molluscan diet.

A front clearing over Bay of Islands.

The next day continued much the same. Only Child left for Whangerei and, in the afternoon, Saltbreaker and Ardea journeyed a harrowing six miles further to a new anchorage on Urupukapuka Island. The cove was a DOC (Dept. of Conservation) campsite and there were dozens of tents ashore. A large group of high school students was on a trip and most of the others were paddlers kayaking around the Bay of Islands and camping out. We wondered if we were like RV people to them, since there was such a large population of local sailboats and there was no longer any novelty even for non-sailors in seeing one at anchor or under way. We were doing little differently from before, we just happened to be in closer proximity to people who weren't living like vagabonds, who weren't bound by the sea, but who were otherwise very similar to us; there was notably little to distinguish us, really, except that we felt that we knew what it feels like to really be free. The contrast, though surely noticed only by ourselves, felt sometimes stark.

At anchor of Urupukapuka.

We went to shore and chatted to some more of the fine people that seemed to make up the Kiwi populace and walked up the grassy hills to catch a view of the setting sun and the cold bay we were coming to love quite well. We ate dinner- fresh-made pasta with two kinds of oysters and a side of bacon-wrapped scallops- played some cards and crashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment